Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Changes


It's been a rough month - thus why I was MIA for a while. Both my husband and I were ill and I developed a horrible cough that left me coughing seemingly non-stop for 3 weeks. I couldn't rest well at night and felt like I couldn't breathe.

I knew then I had a decision to make. 

I was diagnosed with the early stages of COPD about 3 years ago (emphysema and bronchitis) but I continued to smoke. Suddenly not being able to breathe easily was a reality check for me.

I have been smoke-free for four days now. 

Already I can breathe so much easier....way better than I was even before getting ill! My chest is not rumbling. I am not wheezing. And I am sleeping so much better!

There is no cure for COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), but I am determined now to make positive changes necessary to improve my quality of life. 

My daughter and I have started exercising together to keep each other motivated. I want to be active as long as possible. As we are beginning to have slightly warmer days, I've begun doing a little yard work and will incorporate walks into my days. And if I lose some weight in the process, I'd be okay with that!

I am looking to make better food choices. Eat more fish, tuna and lean meats and add more veggies and fruits to our diet. 

I am also looking to increase my water intake and (hopefully) learn to love it in the process. 

Every year, I need to get three shots - flu, pneumonia, and pertussis. I do not want to end up very sick or in the hospital!

I'm switching to homemade green cleaners because the fumes can bring on COPD exacerbation. And I'm going to have to be more diligent with cleaning - dust and pet dander is not good, nor is excess moisture in the kitchen and bathrooms. 

I need to buy a fingertip pulse oximeter to monitor my blood oxygen levels and heart rate. If my blood oxygen level dips below 90% that could be a sign of an oncoming exacerbation - which will likely require antibiotics. 

I'm still in the learning stage about this disease, but I'm feeling hopeful that I can live a healthier and productive life. 

Don't be like me and neglect your health! Good health is a valuable asset and makes life so much easier while poor health does the opposite. 

Be good to yourself. Be good to your body!

Tracy Lee xx








8 comments :

  1. I'm so proud of you! My dad died from COPD and I wouldn't wish that kind of struggle on anyone. I'm praying for you and and so excited to see your health improve more and more every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, Tracy, I'm sorry to hear of your health issues. I'm so glad you are taking care of yourself though. We only get one body to last us our whole life! It isn't until a major health challenge that we think about this though, I know I didn't. Best to you (and your husband) for your recuperation, and congratulations on your decision to be smoke-free. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get feeling better soon, Tracy.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Tracy! I'm proud of you for giving up smoking and for making so many good changes. I'm so glad you're feeling better! Blessings, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I don't blog, I always enjoy your blog. You always sound so sincere. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really sorry to hear about your health problems, but what a wonderfully positive approach you are taking to it. I'm wondering if you might find the Better Me program useful..it has lots of small ideas for nurturing yourself, which do you good but feel like treats. http://www.brocantehome.net/product/better-me-program/

    I have a friend who has some different health issues to you, but require her to make similar lifestyle changes as you describe, and she has found a lot of inspiration for eating healthily with the books by Ella Woodward. I have to confess to being a little sceptical about them until she brought round lunch she had made from her recipes - spiralized 'courgetti' with sundried pesto, it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! On the quitting smoking. I couldn't smoke, because I could never afford it. I guess there are some upsides to not having a lot of money. Be careful about the second hand smoke as well. Sometimes we are too polite. Just tell people to step away from you if they have to smoke and good luck. I know you will do well.

    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Normally I don't read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you,

    very nice post. I will share it my social media site !!!
    http://thesavvybitchlifestyle.com/

    ReplyDelete